Lemper is a kind of Javanese traditional snack made of glutinous rice with filling, and covered using banana leaf. The filling could be made of dried coconut floss (namely srundeng in Javanese), beef floss, minced-chicken or minced-beef. This savoury snack is usually served in party including wedding party. We can also find this snack easily at bakery or cake shop, particularly in Central Java and Yogyakarta.
Here it is the recipe.
- 500 grams of glutinous rice, wash and soak it for about 2 hours, and drain it.
- 1 cup of creamy coconut milk (approximately)
- Clean banana leaf to cover
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 250 grams of minced-chicken or minced-beef
- 100 cc of hot water
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of minced-shallot
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Salt and palm sugar as required
- Steam the glutinous rice until half-done. Remove it into a mixing bowl.
- Pour coconut milk, salt and sugar on the hot glutinous rice. Mix them well.
- Steam again the glutinous rice mix for about 30 minutes.
- Filling : heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, and stir fry garlic, shallot, coriander, and white pepper. Pour the water in, add salt and palm sugar as required. Add minced-chicken or minced-beef. Stir it well and wait until it is almost dry. Cool it down and set aside.
- Prepare about 15 sheets of banana leaf (make the small size, approx. 20 cm x 20 cm).
- Take 1 sheet of banana leaf, put 2 tablespoons of steamed-glutinous rice on the middle of the leaf, and flatten it. Add 1 teaspoon of the filling, and roll it well. Roll the banana leaf and pin both of the leaf’s end using toothpicks. Repeat it until the glutinous rice is finished.
- Steam the Lemper for about 15 minutes. Or grill it until the banana leaf is turning brown. Turn it around, and repeat to grill until the leaf is brown.
This Javanese savoury snack is absolutely exotic… 🙂